Peru: Ski Expedition Nevado Pisco and Nevado Huascaran
Skiing in the Southern Hemisphere in the high Andes has been a dream for many ski mountaineers.
Peru Expedition Tours: will be offering a 16 day fully inclusive ski touring/mountaineering to climb and ski one of the greatest untapped ski destinations on the planet. The Cordillera Blanca offers long valleys leading to massive glaciated peaks. This is a rare opportunity to attempt to get high in the Andes to climb and ski Pisco (5752m) and Huscaran (6768m).
- Nevado Pisco is a very straightforward an achievable climb, most of the way is not steep and not technical. This climb and ski provides a great experience and improves the acclimatization as preparation for the final goal Huascaran.
- Mount Huascaran is the highest peak in Peru. Huascaran has two peaks Huascaran South at 6768m. Huascaran North 6650m. Getting to the top is a significant mountaineering achievement, the climb is physically demanding and will require a high level of endurance so the climbers must be in excellent physical shape.
In these expeditions the mules or donkeys help transport our gear to Base Camp, allowing us to make the trek with light daypacks.
Upon your arrival to the airport in Lima you will be transferred to your hotel.
After your breakfast, we will take a bus from Lima to Huaraz (408 km, takes about 8–9 hours). Transfer to hotel upon you arrival in Huaraz.
Free day to explore Huaraz and get acclimated. Short afternoon hiking options.
7:30am transfer to Pitec (1 hour). Acclimatization hike for 3 hours to Churup Lake, return to Pitec then transfer to Huaraz.
You will be picked up from your hotel then transferred along the Callejon de Huaylas valley, passing small cities such as Marcara, Carhuaz, and Yungay then continue through llanganuco Valley heading east into the mountains to the wide and pastoral valley between Huascarán to the south and Huandoy to the north. In Yuraccoral we will start hiking up for 3 hours to Pisco Base Camp at 4600m.
After breakfast in the Pisco Base Camp and with the help of our porters we will climb for 3 hours to Pisco Moraine Camp at 4850m.
Early in the morning after our fast breakfast approx. 1:00am we will climb about 40 minutes onto the moraine until we reach the glacier, we will put on crampons and rope up. Approximately 4 hours to reach the top, incredible views and with strategic viewpoints there will be many opportunities to photograph to Artesonraju (6025m), Chacraraju, Huandoy, Chopicalqui (6354m) and Huascaran (6768m). Return by ski to moraine camp for hot soup then continue to the Base Camp.
After the breakfast we will go to the town of Yuraccorral to begin our transfer to Huaraz passing the llanganuco lakes and Huascaran National Park before arriving to Huaraz at approximately 2 or 3 p.m.
Rest day and preparation for Huascaran ski mountaineering.
After breakfast we will drive from Huaraz, heading north to the town of Musho, approximately two hours from Huaraz. From Musho we hike for 4–5 hours to Huascaran base camp at 4300m.
With the help of our porters we will start hiking up to moraine camp the first part is rock (300m), arriving to the moraine camp we continue to the glacier then another two hours to high camp at 5400m.
Early in the morning we will climb for about three hours until La Garganta (The Throat), a broad saddle between the north and south summits. As you climb through the increasingly broken glacier, you will encounter short sections of technical climbing including an ice ascent of up to 60 degrees inclination. Huascaran High camp II at 5850m.
Summit day, we will have breakfast then start the climb up at 1:00 am. Arriving to the summit (6,768m) at approximately 9:00 am. From the Huascaran summit we will enjoy the white mountain range (cordillera blanca) before a ski down to high camp or moraine camp.
In the morning, after breakfast, we will pack up and go down to the moraine camp, and finally to base camp.
Final breakfast, all climbing and logistics equipment is loaded onto donkeys then we descend for about 3 hours to Musho where private transport will be waiting for us to transfer to Huaraz where we will enjoy a celebration dinner.
We will depart by bus for Lima. Upon arrival to Lima bus station you will transfer to your hotel or directly to the Lima Airport.
Included meals: B=breakfast; L=lunch; D=dinner
Services included in the prices:
- All internal transfer as in Lima and Huaraz
- Hotel in Lima 3*** two night
- Ticket bus from Lima to Huaraz /Lima (public good bus VIP Class), from 8pax+ we running with a private bus
- Hotel in Huaraz 3*** 5 nights
- Certified Professional Mountain Guide IVBV – UIAGM – IFMGA
- Cook during the Expedition
- Complete meals during the expeditions
- Donkeys and porters
- Private transfer for start and the end the expedition
- One tent for two persons North Face V25
- Dining tent with table, chairs, kitchen tent with utensils, toilet tent
- Entrance fees to Huascaran National Park
- Acclimatization day
- First aid kit
- Satellite phone available on request
- International flights to Lima / Peru round trip
- Transfer from the airport for bookings of individual flights with different times of arrival / departure
- Exit tax at the airport in Lima
- Travel accident and health insurance
- Luggage insurance and trip cancellation
- Meals in restaurants in Lima and Huaraz
- Personal expenses
- Personal equipment (such as boots, ice ax, crampons, harness, sleeping bag, mat, Goretex, etc.)
- Tips for our local team
Prices & Dates
» Additional dates available upon request
» Rates may vary from July 26th to 31th for the national holidays
Prices (per person):
|1 PAX||2 PAX||4 PAX||6 PAX||8 PAX||10 PAX||12 PAX||14 PAX|
|— USD||— USD||— USD||— USD||— USD||— USD||— USD||— USD|
Deposit for reservations: * — USD (– EUR) ✓ Full payment 40 days before. No refund if you cancel less than 30 days!
Trip-code: Number ►PE-404
Duration: 1 day
Participants: Minimal: — Maximal: —
Members: We don’t have an open group to join – We can open a new group – Contact us!
Country / Location: Peru
Mountain Guide: Edwin Albino Lliuya
Other dates / additional info: Contact us!
3% early bird discount when booking 6 months prior to departure 2023
EZZ Single room supplement
🟢 On this trip, places are still available.
🟡 On this trip, only a few places left.
🔴 This trip is sold out / closed.
Eric Raul Albino Lliuya
Expert guide certified by AGOMP
General Sales Manager of Peru Expeditions