Do you plan to visit Machu Picchu? Know that the Wonder of the World offers a variety of experiences for tourists. Among the main attractions are the Inca Citadel, Huayna Picchu, the Site Museum and the lesser known Machu Picchu Mountain. This last tourist attraction is a new short hiking route that allows you to reach the highest point of the Inca site. From there, you can see the most beautiful landscapes surrounding the Inca town.
Machu Picchu is not the same as Mountain Machu Picchu. The first refers to the Inca Citadel, made known to the world by the American explorer Hiram Bingham in 1911. The second is the mountainous elevation, in whose lower part sits the Inca enclosure. Therefore it is the summit located at the top of the Wonder of the World and whose name Machu (Mountain), Picchu (Old) adopted the Inca llaqta to be known worldwide.
Machu Picchu Mountain is known as the old mountain. This maybe due to its greater dimension to the Waynapicchu or ‘young mountain’. It is located at the top of the Inca Citadel, at 3,082 m.s.n.m. On its slopes inca trails were erected in order to reach the highest and worship the Andean gods such as the hills, the sun, etc. Although no Inca temple was built on its roads, the great elevation of this summit earned it one of the most important apus that surround the Wonder of the World.
Today, the steep paths that lead to the top of this mountain are one of the most adventurous new tourist attractions of the Inca citadel. This Machu Picchu mountain hiking route covers almost 2 kilometers of steep Inca roads from where you can appreciate all the beauty of the geography surrounding the Inca Citadel. Unlike Waynapicchu, roads are wider and safer. Reaching the top and returning takes on average 3 or 4 hours depending on the physical state of the person.
Is the Machu Picchu Mountain Worth It?
There are many reasons. Among them, that this walk is very safe and can be done as a family. People of any age can make the journey. There are also other reasons to choose this adventurous experience in the Wonder of the World:
- Because you can take the best pictures– The views from the top of Mountain Machu Picchu are simply amazing. The Inca citadel, the Vilcanota river, the Huayna Picchu mountain, the Putucusi mountain and more are appreciated. One feels like in the clouds. It is the ideal place to take the best pictures.
- Because there is no danger– The roads are wide and well signposted. There is a lot of security in the most difficult places of the journey. Due to this, income is allowed to tourists of all ages. The adventure and adrenaline is guaranteed without any risk. It is the best option to do it as a family.
- Because the ascent is quite an adventure– The adventure is not only to reach the top of the Mountain Machu Picchu. The journey itself is quite an experience. It is considered a moderate-medium difficulty. It ascends approximately 300 meters. Although for some visitors it is complicated, the experience will be recorded in the tourist forever.
- Because it allows entry to Machu Picchu– The only way to experience this experience is by acquiring the Machu Picchu + Mountain Ticket. This ticket also allows access to the Inca Citadel. That’s why in addition to touring the incredible mountain, the visitor can enjoy the incredible stone buildings.
- Because it is not difficult to get the ticket– Unlike the entry ticket to Huayna Picchu, the ticket to access the Mountain Machu Picchu is not difficult to get. Normally you can book up to 3 days in advance. If you plan to visit during the high season of tourism, up to 2 months before.
Mountain Machu Picchu: Walk to the clouds
The Machu Picchu Mountain travels an average of 2 kilometers away on Inca roads with steep slopes. Along the same, there is abundant vegetation where the great variety of orchids stands out. At the top of the mountain the tourist feels like in the clouds due to being located at the top of the Inca site. From there you can fully appreciate the Inca Citadel and the amazing geography that surrounds it. It is the right place to take the best pictures.
On average, the ascent takes 1 hour and 30 minutes depending on the physical state of the visitor. The trails are wide and well signposted so there is no greater danger. The stairs become more difficult as you ascend. This due to the altitude at which it is located. However, it is not necessary to reach the top to enjoy the beauty of the landscape. The Mountain Machu Picchu is a challenge for tourists. It is an attraction that is growing in popularity in the world.
Is the Machu Picchu mountain hike difficult?
The ascent to the top of Machu Picchu Mountain is not easy. It is estimated that it is of medium-moderate difficulty. You do not need to be an expert in trekking or be in an optimal physical condition to do so. Admission is allowed to people of all ages. That is why the most important thing is the desire to reach the highest. On the way you meet children, young people and even older adults.
Getting to the top takes an average of 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the physical condition of the tourist. The indicated thing is to ascend to the suitable rhythm for each person. On the way you can appreciate the abundant flora and fauna of the place. The whole journey is well signposted. The only danger is to get out of the limits of the paths or look for roads on your own. It is one of the best experiences in the Wonder of the World.
- Although the Machu Picchu Mountainis not at high altitude, a previous acclimatization is necessary for the ascent. The characteristic climate of this part of Peru is hot with precipitations that happen at any time, especially in the mornings.
- During the rainy season (from October to March) these occur more frequently, so it is suggested to wear hiking shoes. Here are other recommendations: Although the dry season (from March to October) presents less chance of precipitation, in the rainy season the visitor can enjoy the mountain to himself only because fewer people walk their roads.
- Do not carry backpacks weighing more than 5 kilos or risk your life standing on the edge of the roads.
- If you make the ascent with children, be careful that they respect the tourist attraction and obey the security measures to avoid exposing themselves to any risk.
- It is recommended to take only what is necessary: rain poncho, hat or cap, sunblock, water bottle, camera and snacks.
- To enjoy this incredible adventure you need the Machu Picchu + Mountain Ticket. Book your ticket with time in advance. Especially if you want to make your visit during the high season of tourism (from March to October).
Machu Picchu Mountain Ticket
The Machu Picchu Mountain Ticket + Circuit 4 allows access to the old mountain. This ticket is preferred by adventurers who did not get access to Huayna Picchu. Daily only 800 people can walk the roads of this summit. It is advisable to book it at least 10 days in advance. The entrance includes a visit a part of the Inca Citadel (Circuit 4). Admission is in 2 groups which access in the following hours:
Group 1: 07:00 a.m. at 08:00 a.m. (400 people)
Group 2: 08:00 a.m. at 09:00 a.m. (400 people)
What does the Machu Picchu Mountain Ticket offer you?
This type of ticket gives you two options in the entry schedule. Being the first from 07:00; the second from 08:00. Both groups have a limit of 400 people for each group. If you buy the Machu Picchu Mountain Ticket + Circuit 4, this will allow you to visit the Machu Picchu Mountain, as well as the entrance to the Inca City of Machu Picchu.
The Machu Picchu Mountain Ticket + Circuit 4 as well as the entry tickets to Huayna Picchu are not sold as separate tickets, they are only sold together. If you want to visit the Machu Picchu traditional route, you should get tickets to only Machu Picchu tickets.
When is the best time to hike to Machu Picchu Mountain?
The best season is during the dry season, which covers the months April to the end of September. In October the rains begin and you can find Machu Picchu covered by clouds. If you travel in June, we recommend you to book the Inti Raymi 2023 Tour that takes place in June 24th, and also hike the Palcoyo Mountain Tour, which is an incredible Rainbow Mountain located in the Andes.
How much time in advance should I buy the Machu Picchu Mountain ticket?
The Machu Picchu + Montaña tickets have to be purchased weeks in advance, although sometimes you have to book much longer; especially in the months when there is a greater influx of visitors, which are usually between the months of May to September. So take your precautions and do not miss the opportunity to visit this ancestral mountain. Remember to bring your personal documents whether passport, identity document, ISIC card; document with which I buy the Machu Picchu Ticket, as it will be contrasted with your entrance ticket in the entrance control of the Inca City.
Is possible to hike Machu Picchu mountain with Inca Trail?
Inca Trail 4 Days/ 3 Nights: No, climbing up to Machu Picchu mountain is not possible. the scheduled time to visit is 07:00 and 08:00, but on the last day of the Inca Trail, you will be arriving at Machu Picchu at 09:00.
Short Inca Trail: Yes, it is possible to climb up to the mountain. we recommend you book the tickets at 07:00 am, then you will have a guided tour of Machu Picchu citadel.
What rules should follow during the Machu Picchu Mountain hike?
Anyone who enters the Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu and makes use of the authorized routes for hiking must pay attention and follow the following rules:
- Provide the information required by the authorities and official entities.
- Do not throw garbage.
- Use the installations correctly to avoid possible deterioration.
- Follow the signs and the marked trails, as looking for a path on your own could have serious consequences.
- It is forbidden to make bonfires.
- It is strictly forbidden to extract, depredate or buy any variety of flora from the Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu.
- The capture, hunting or purchase of any wild animal of the Sanctuary is strictly prohibited.
- Behave in an orderly manner so as not to disturb other hikers.
Hiking tours to Machu Picchu
Many are the routes that take you to Machu Picchu, but none is like the Inca Trail Tours, the most famous pedestrian path in the Americas. After flying from the capital of Perú, Lima, you will arrive in Cusco to walk for four days along a path through forests and dense fog, millenary stone steps and discovering the ruins of ancient fortifications and Inca cities, and all the time enjoying majestic views.
- Salkantay Trekto Machu Picchu 5 days
- 5 Day Inca Trail
- Inca Quarry Trail4 Days
- 2 Day Inca Trail Tour
- 2 Day Inca Trail with Camping
- 3 Day Inca Trail
- Vilcabamba Hike to Machu Picchu 6 days
- Choquequirao trek to Machu Picchu 9 days
- Ausangate trek 7 days
If you want to visit Machu Picchu, we recommend you to book your Machu Picchu Tickets in advance, so you will enjoy your Vacation in Machu Picchu without any problem.